Thursday, July 17, 2014

Some of my Gospel background ....

Simple, the last one I heard. Let's face it, David Phelps .... hits home runs. All of the others, have hit home runs ..... I don't think that any have traveled quite as far as his ... David is over the fence and out of the park.
Let me make this point. There is no one, now, or ever has been, like George Younce. He is more than a singer, he is an entertainer, a vocalist, a man, and more. George is ........ The Cathedrals. George held you in the palm of his hand, from the time he walked out, till he was done .... captivating is a good word for George Younce.

He had a "partner in crime" .... the "second banana" ... so to speak, Glenn Payne. A gorgeous positive voice, very emotional in his singing, he had the ability to "stir" an audience.

My Gospel Music days go back, way back, the late 30's, early 40's to a family friend, Oscar Higgins, a Pattern Maker and a Preacher. He helped my Dad build his boat. All the "brasswear" was hand made by Oscar and my Dad.

Oscar had a friend, Otto Lunxsford, not sure of the spelling, an evangelist, singer and pianist. I have never seen him preach. He has visited with us in our home at 319 South Brown Street, in Dayton, Ohio. A beautiful, turn of the century, very ornate, home and office, my Dad was a doctor. My Mom loved music, played the piano and the organ, had both. A beautiful, Baby Grand, Baldwin piano, in a music room, in that house.

Oscar and Otto would stop by for a visit, talking, followed by Otto seating himself at that piano. Otto was a big, white haired man. He would play some of Mom's favorites, I Come to the Garden Alone, The Old Rugged Cross ..... then he would lean back, rub his hands a bit, and kick out with .... Sing and Be Happy ... about the third verse, the big Big Baldwin would be bouncing up and down on the floor ..... that was the first Gospel music I remember.

The GVB and David have rekindled a spark ... A few years ago we went to Columbus, Ohio and the them perform .... been hooked since then ..............

No comments:

Post a Comment